Wednesday 25 May 2011

Historical Romances of the Past

So, with all the wonderful new historical romances coming out in both ebook and paperback, does anyone still read the older romances that came out last century? And if so, how do they compare to more modern works for you?

I believe Georgette Heyer's books have been re-released recently. I loved these while I was growing up - having found an entire set at my Gran's house which I later inherited :). They're mostly Regency romances, with a scattering of earlier settings, and were the inspiration for a new generation of writers in that genre. I still enjoy re-reading them for the fun and the wit and the sweet romance. Of course there's absolutely no sex in them :)

Others I particularly enjoyed were Victoria Holt, Anya Seton, Margaret Irwin, and, of course, Dorothy Dunnett. They didn't all write romances as such, but there was always romance in there. I also loved the old swashbuckling romances, like Rafael Sabbatini which I discovered in second hand shops and the cupboards of older relatives. They were full of sword-fighting and piracy and righting injustice, and several were made into films with Errol Flynn - great stuff :).

Oh and I nearly forgot to mention Gone With the Wind, which drew me in completely and infuriated me!

Do you have any older favourites in the world of hisotrical romance? Or if you don't care for the older ones, what is it that puts you off?

Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment