Wednesday 27 July 2011

News, plus Steampunk Film and TV

First up, the good news! Meljean Brook has found me! She's well, but was so focused on writing deadlines that she lost track of everything else - know the feeling! Anyway, she's hoping to join us at the end of the week instead - more precise information to follow :).

Now, I know we talked a bit about steampunk movies and television with Beth yesterday, but I thought I'd add in a few more thoughts, along with some pictures :).

So, I've heard talk of the upcoming new Three Musketeers movie, and apparently it's a steampunk version featuring airship battles and associated steampunk mayhem. I've got to see that!



I must admit, I did enjoy the chaotic, steampunk overtones of Robert Downey Jnr's Sherlock Holmes, so with that and the new Musketeers in mind, I went trawling on the internet for more steampunk films, and found plenty, some reminders of movies that jogged my memory, and others that I haven't seen; but what most surprsied me on the steampunk movie lists were old films that I had never associated with steampunk, most notably Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! But when you think about it, it IS steampunk - all that impossible technology, fantasy, off-the-wall, misfit characters and all.




A few random films that stuck in my mind: Mary Shelly's Frankenstein (and even Mel Brooks's Young Frankenstein!), Sleepy Hollow, The League of Extraordianry Gentlemen, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Hellboy, Lemony Snicket, The Prestige, The Golden Compass...

Any more loves (or hates!) to share? Any you're depserate to see but haven't?



And then there's steampunk television. The shows that spring to my mind are Firefly and some episodes of Dr. Who (particularly one of the Christmas specials). And most recently, I discovered Warehouse 13, which is vaguely steampunky in some of its artifacts and technology.

Even before yesterday's discussion, I'd heard of Wild Wild West, but I've never seen it or another one that was getting a big puff from steampunk fans -  Legend with Richard Dean Anderson. Any more thoughts or additions?

Marie

6 comments:

  1. Hi Marie,

    We just had the first season of Warehouse 13 and I really enjoyed it!!

    Valerie
    in Germany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too,Valerie - I'm anxious to see the second series now because of where the first ended!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. had a decided Steampunk flavor. Loved that show. And I love Firefly and Warehouse 13 too. Airships in the 3 Musketeers? Hmmm, might have to check that out after all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the airships and Musketeers got my attention too :)

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Warehouse 13. I thought it was very steampunky. I never thought about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but you're right, it was steampunk. We just didn't have a name for it when it first aired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly, Karen! MAkes me look on differently too, now that I've made that connection :).

    Marie

    ReplyDelete