Sunday 23 January 2011

Welcome to the Scottish Romance Party!

Slainte!

Welcome to our first ever theme party set in the wonderful world of Scottish Romance! I hope everyone's got a glass of good cheer - perhaps single malt would be more appropriate to this occasion than champagne, but the choice is yours!

We have some fabulous guests of honour joining us over the next few days: Marta Acosta, Kimberlely Killion, Donna Grant, Toni Anderson and Julianne MacLean, who'll all have their unique persepctive on Scottish Romance. I'm sure they'll also have a few yummy prizes to offer, and I'll add to that by entering everyone who comments throughout the days of the party into a drawing for any one of my currently available ebooks set in Scotland, winner's choice (I have to exclude BLOOD ON SILK from that, because it's not available in the UK!).

Feel free to comment on any and every post. It earns you more contest entries, and besides, helps the party go with a swing :)

Scottish Romance has a long and honourable tradition dating back to the days of Sir Walter Scott; and the popularity of its modern incarnation goes from strength to strength - as is obvious from the release this month of the Mammoth Book of Scottish Romance. I'm happy to say, several of our guest authors have stories in this anthology, so settle in for a few tantalizing glimpses!

I think I differ from most people here in that I am actually Scottish, by birth and by residence - let's hear from you if you're Scottish too! - and like many of my countrymen, I'm fascinated by the passion for Scottish settings and Scottish heroes in romance novels. I'd like to kick things off today by asking everyone this: just what is it about Scottish Romance that draws you? Is it the scenery of the setting, the idea of a brawny man in a skirt, the sense of history, the language...?

Incidentally, talking of language - if you don't already know,"Slainte", my greeting today, is the Gaelic equivalent of "Cheers!", but I should confess up front that beyond this and a couple of rude words, I don't have any Gaelic at all. In fact, the vast majority of Scots don't any more - we speak English, however impenetrable our accents might seem :). In the Highlands and Islands, of course, Gaelic is still more common than in the Lowlands where I live. Perhaps the sadness of a receding language adds to the romance of the country? Tell us your thoughts!

Marie

6 comments:

  1. I went to university in Edinburgh, and somehow developed a fascination for Gaelic kids TV. I had no idea what was going on, but that's true for all the best children's shows, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again, Stevie! Edinburgh's a lovely city - which is quite an admission for a Glaswegian :).

    I think you're right about the kids' tv shows - they make as much sense in Gaelic as in any other language :). One of the things that tickled me was a bunch of bus-drivers in Valetta bus station in Malta sitting in the slightly grotty cafe watching "Balamory" on the tv!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Popping open Champagne...let's get this party started Marie!! Would you like one glass or two?
    I'm not sure why I have always been fascinated with Scottish Romance. My bookshelf probably wants to know, since it's weighted down with so many of them. Maybe it's the Highlands, the beautiful landscape, the remnants of a time past, the great battles that were fought or the magnificent Castles. While visiting there, we had some unusual experiences that we love to tell to anyone that will listen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers, Cindy! I'll start with one, but don't take the bottle away :).

    Glad you like SCotland so much! Unusual experiences...? We're listening :)

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh Marie...where do I begin? It has to do with all the ghosts that you have there. My hubby hates ghosts, so the owners of a castle that we stayed at in Dornoch told him that our room was haunted (cruel I know). He would not come to bed until the wee hours of the morning after that. We got to take a private tour of parts of the castle that weren't open to the public. They used to hang people outside and they found bones in the wine cellar. We also drove all over the country. I don't think people realize how small Scotland really is. We stopped at a cemetery on the side of the road and it was raining pretty hard so I stayed in the car. Suddenly my hubby is running like something is chasing him...he was taking pics and he felt a hand on his shoulder. He thought it was me and turned to find he was alone. When we had the pics developed there were spots on the ones taken there. And no the camera did not get wet. Oh and we had planned to take a scenic train ride from London to Edinburgh, but the tracks were washed out so we had to take a bus instead. Wow...that was a crazy trip. A guy serenaded me at the bus stop, a guy talked to us the entire trip on the bus and when we finally got to our hotel they gave us the wrong room and someone popped in while we were sleeping. At the time we were 25 and it was our first international trip. What an adventure!
    Marie aren't you glad you asked? I tend to ramble after a couple of glasses of champagne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic, Cindy! let me refill your glass there :). Spooky stories!

    Yes, it is a tiny country - amazingly so by American standards, I'm sure! - even if some of the Highland scenery gives an impression of hugeness! Sounds like you met up with the local drunks on your bus trip, though :)

    Thanks for telling us abouth your adventures!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete